CDFU JOB OPPORTUNITY - THE POSITION OF EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
POSTED JANUARY 2018
Title: Executive Director
Hours: 35-40 hours per week DOE,
Cordova Residency preferred but other options considered
Closing date: Position open until filled
Salary: Salary based on experience; Benefit package included
Cordova District Fishermen United is looking for a highly motivated, organized individual with fisheries and legislative knowledge to manage and direct day to day office operations, and carry out the CDFU mission to “Preserve, promote and perpetuate the commercial fishing industry in Area E in the state of Alaska, to further promote safety at sea, legislation, conservation, management and the general welfare for the mutual benefit of all our members.
Suitable candidates will possess the following skills/attributes:
- An understanding of legislative process and commercial fishing politics, regulations, and policy.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; willingness to moderate.
- Strong administrative background, with experience in office management, policy-making, planning, and human resources.
- Sound financial experience, including the ability to oversee and administer budget.
- Effective public relation skills to recruit and represent members of CDFU in the local community, the political arena and statewide meetings.
- Strong computing skills including experience with operating office equipment, e-mail communications, et cetera. Experience with social media and websites is an asset and preferred.
- An undergraduate degree and/or at least five years of relevant work experience.
Suitable candidates may possess the following skills/attributes:
- Prior experience with non-profit organizations; fundraising; grant writing; fishery organizations; the Alaska and/or DC political arenas; tracking legislation in Juneau and in Congress; drafting and/or delivering testimony in response to fisheries related legislation; supervising staff; working with a Board of Directors, including preparing meeting agendas and documenting minutes; managing working groups, committees, and/or task forces; program management with timelines and deadlines; event planning; media relations.
The Executive Director is the chief administrative and financial officer of the organization. The Executive Director must maintain a thorough understanding of all CDFU business and activities in order to assist the CDFU President and the Board of Directors in planning, developing, implementing and evaluating positions, programs and courses of action. The Executive Director serves at the direction of the CDFU board and shall assist the CDFU board in contacting governmental and private agencies, fisheries organizations/associations, individual fishermen, state departments and agencies, regional stakeholders, media and any other external contacts. The Executive Director shall assist the CDFU Board in the development and implementation of internal & external policies. The Executive Director shall be responsible for internal communication with the CDFU board and membership. The Executive Director shall assist the CDFU Board with all contracts and contract amendments on behalf of CDFU. The Executive Director serves as a non-voting ex-officio member of the Board of Directors and all standing committees of CDFU.
The Executive Director directs the daily operations of CDFU including, but not limited to, the following:
- Interview and select new employees, with input from Office Manager where applicable.
- Complete employee performance appraisals and reviews.
- Handle complaints, discipline and terminate as required, with Board consultation.
- Supervise and direct staff, with Office Manager overseeing Administrative Staff Member.
- Provide technological support for CDFU board.
- Develop and maintain office information systems --- meeting minutes, correspondence, internal and external policies, position papers etc.
- Review CDFU policies and provide input regarding changes on a yearly basis.
- Plan and co-ordinate CDFU board meetings.
- Maintain timely CDFU correspondence.
- Initiate annual review of organizational achievements, operational efficiencies and resource needs including recommendations regarding completeness and accuracy of Executive Director’s job description.
- Monitor and report on CDFU budget development with recommendations.
- Manage and supervise staff to ensure: Timely payment of accounts and payroll;
- Work with accountant and Board Treasurer on the following: Reconciliation of monthly bank statements; active cash flow management; production of customary financial statements and maintenance of customary financial records (spread sheets), balance sheet, cash flow, accounts payable, accounts receivable, membership (dues payable), etc.
- Search for and assist in the procurement of funding for CDFU programs.
- Monitor cash management and long and short term investments.
- Monitor contract/grant activity and provide timely reports as required.
PUBLIC RELATIONS / MEMBERSHIP
- Work to increase CDFU membership --- individual and business.
- Network to ensure CDFU participation in formal and informal fisheries related meetings, conferences and gatherings.
- Research and make recommendations regarding CDFU involvement in other fisheries organizations or entities.
- Develop, in consultation with CDFU board, news releases and/or media comments or contacts.
- Promote good relations, participate in public affairs, and develop increased understanding and acceptance of CDFU by the public.
- Manage CDFU website and CDFU’s social media presence (i.e. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).
- Provide frequent communication with the CDFU membership, Board of Directors, and member organizations with fisheries related news articles, updates on fisheries issues, new fisheries developments, fisheries related announcements and any other information of interest to the CDFU membership.
- Route incoming correspondence (letter or e-mail) to board members.
- Facilitate CDFU board participation in developing policy positions, endorsements and/or legislation.
- Coordinate with CDFU Lobbyist while the legislature is in session.
- Regular meetings with staff, in the form of informal weekly sit downs or morning mug ups.
As chief administrative and financial supervisor of CDFU, the Executive Director may be asked periodically to perform duties outside of his or her job description for the benefit of CDFU. Such requests shall be made through the CDFU President and shall be reviewed for inclusion in the Executive Director’s job description at the next CDFU board meeting.
Questions? Please call CDFU at 424-3447.
Interested individuals should submit a resume and letter of interest via email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at the CDFU office. This position is vacant until filled. If interested, please submit these materials as soon as possible to be considered by the board. Thank you.
CDFU IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
CDFU does not discriminate in practices or employment opportunities on the basis of an individual's race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other proscribed category set forth in federal or state regulations. Any questions or concerns about this statement can be directed to the CDFU Board of Directors by calling 907.424.3447 or via e-mail to the Board President, Jerry McCune, at email@example.com.